- Insects have their skeleton on the outside.
- Ten percent (10%) of the world’s biomass is composed of ants.Insects are the only animals with true wings as it is not derived from any other structure.
- Flies are the only insects with one pair of wings. All other winged insects have two pair.
- Beetles are the largest group of living things on Earth with over 450,000 described species.
- One out of every three insect species is a beetle.
- One out of every four animal species on Earth is a beetle.
- One out of every five species of animals and plants is a beetle.
- Beetles are 40 times more diverse than birds.
- Ladybugs are actually beetles. They are protected from predators by toxic compounds in their bodies which gives them the orange and black color.
- The oldest beetle, Adiphlebia, was found over 318-299 million years ago. Modern beetles were established by the Jurassic period (210-145 million years ago) during the age of dinosaurs.
For the love of Honey
- It takes 10 million trips to produce one pound of honey.
- Honey bees fly up to 60 miles per day foraging for nectar and pollen.
- The word honeymoon comes from The Middle Ages when a newly-wed couple was given enough honey wine to last the first month of their marriage.
For the love of Silk
- Silk has been known in China since around 3000 BC.
- It takes 3,000 silkworm cocoons to make one pound of silk.
- Silkworms spin a cocoon made of one single and continuous strand of silk over 1,000 yards long.
- Adult Silk moths do not have mouth parts. Hence, they cannot eat and die within 5-10 days.
- The female moths die immediately after laying her eggs.